This article is going to give you the latest news about the Academic staff union of Universities (ASSU) strike. Several meetings have been held between the leaders of ASSU and the federal government and they were fruitless. Today being the 1st of July 2022 has equally proved abortive. We are going to give you a detailed intel on what was concluded.
Why is ASSU on Strike?
The Academic staff union of universities commenced their strike on March 27th, 2022, after they had issued a warning two weeks strike earlier before the said date. The SSANU Senior Staff Association of Nigerian Universities started theirs on February 14th to be precise.
News getting to us is that the reasons for the unexpectedly Long strike of ASSU and SSANU are a result of some irregularities in the Academic sector. They also linked the strike action to the following;
The Seniors Staff Association of Nigerian Universities listed the presented the following issues.
- High rate of unpaid earned Allowances.
- Inconsistency in the issues of payroll and personnel Systems (IPPIS).
- There was a delay in the issues of renegotiation with the Federal government and the SSANU, and non- Academic staff Universities (NASU) agreements.
- Also, they have been an unbearing delay in the payment of Minimum wage Arrears.
Others are related to the following;
- The neglect and inadequate funding of state Universities in Nigeria
- The neglect of the outgoing members of the union, who are supposed to be paid retirement benefits among others.
The academic staff union of Universities has stated their reason as;
- The failure or delay to release the revitalization funds for tertiary institutions was a result of the renegotiation between the federal government and ASSU in the year 2009.
- Prolonged delay in the release of Earned allowances for university academic staff and the adoption of the Transparency and Accountability System (UTAS) for the payment of earned wages and salaries of lecturers.
When will ASSU Strike be called off?
Unfortunately, the ASSU strike will not come to an end unless there is a renegotiation between the federal government and the Academic staff union of Universities.
However, there is to be another meeting between the FG and ASSU representatives this month. Hopefully, it will be successful.
In conclusion, if you find this article informative don’t forget to share it with your loved ones and friends that are currently at the university.
Likewise, stay tuned for any other updates on the strike issue visit our website https://www.jobindex.com.ng/ for more info like this.